Thursday, December 30, 2010

Here we go

Alright, I've tried this blog crap before with little success.  I believe it mostly due to not knowing EXACTLY what to write about.  Hopefully this turns out better than my last escapade.

To tell you a little about myself, I was born and raised in Philadelphia (Olney) and at the age of 19 I joined the United States Marine Corps, where I served on active duty for 8 years (96-04).  I am now 34 years old, married, no kids, two cats and a huge fan of my hometown sports teams.

I have not lived in Philly since 96 and only make it back every now and then.  If I want to watch any sports I either have to order those expensive satellite TV packages, or hope the teams are playing on national television.

To make things worse, I live in California right in the middle of Giants, Athletics, 49ers, Raiders, and Sharks country.  I live about an hour south of San Jose.  To be honest the only team out here I really CAN'T STAND is the Raiders.  I've been to a number of Giants and A's games and make it out whenever the Phils are playing.  I was fortunate (or unfortunate depending on how you look at it) to go to game 4 of the NLCS this year to see Fat Joe pitch and the Phils lose.


The A's are my American League team due both to the proximity of the team to my new home, and because of their having once been based out of my hometown.  I am happy to say that despite the fact that my wife was born and raised here in the Golden State I have turned her into a pretty big Phillies fan and that I am very proud of.

Unfortunately for me, I work with nothing but Giants fans at work and had to endure the breaking of my balls during the post season and due to a bet that I lost I have to wear a Giants hat to work every day until the next world series.  I can tolerate wearing the Giants gear as they have never been a true rival to the Phillies.  If it would have been a Yankees or Mets cap I would probably have just thrown myself from the Golden Gate Bridge.



By the way, I bought my wife "FROM OUR HOME TO YOURS:A COLLECTION OF PHILLIES RECIPES" for Christmas.  I love to cook and my intent is to cook at least one recipe from the book each week and give you my thoughts on it.  Take care and go Flyers!

1 comment: